If you’re a big fan of music, there’s a good chance you have a few t-shirts in your closet from your favorite bands. The band’s image, the fit and design of the shirt all come together to create a look that somehow highlights your style and personality perfectly. A great band t-shirt has the power to show people who you really are, boost your confidence, and to add a level of individuality to your wardrobe. But if you are in a band and are designing a t-shirt, where do you start? AC/DC, the Ramones, Aerosmith — all have iconic t-shirts that add to the pressure of making your own! Well, the custom apparel and screen printing experts at Lucky Dog Custom Apparel have some tips to help you get started.
Bring in a Professional Designer
There are a lot of intricacies in the design world that, even if you don’t realize they’re there, can make or break a t-shirt design. Even with the best possible intentions of designing a killer t-shirt, the overall concept and execution of the process can be more difficult than it looks. You have to consider everything from space, negative space, color, font, line, contrast, proximity, balance, and more! Yes, it may cost you everything you made from your last show, but it will be worth it.
If you must do the design yourself, here are some basics to follow:
- Think about the size of the graphic in relation to the size of your band name.
- Print out a color wheel and have it in front of you when using color.
- Consider who your fans are — they are the ones who will be wearing the shirt.
- Put your fans to work! Make the design a competition and the winning designer will get a free LP.
- Go with quality screen printing materials for your final product.
- Have fun with it! The designs not made by a professional can be some of the best.
If you need any help with designing your t-shirt, or want a quality screen printing shop to print them, Lucky Dog Custom Apparel is here for you! Get in touch today to get started.